The Clarksville Montgomery County Adult Literacy Council was established in 1985 to promote public awareness of the need for literacy education in the area. It is a registered United Way agency that provides basic and developmental literacy to Adults in the Montgomery County and Ft. Campbell service area at no charge.
The Adult Literacy Council is governed by a Board of Directors and has two part-time employees: An Executive Director and an Office Assistant.
- To promote public awareness of the need for literacy education in the Clarksville-Montgomery County-Fort Campbell Area
- To recruit students who are under-educated in basic reading and computation skills and persons with English as a second language
- To recruit and train tutors who are interested in teaching adults with low reading and computation skills
- To provide assistance to adults whose reading, comprehension and/or math skills are below 7th grade level
- To obtain and allocate funds for the local adult literacy program